Like many Washington residents, you might be looking for ways to reduce your carbon footprint. (We live in the Evergreen State after all, where everyone is searching for new ways to “go green.”) Maybe you’re looking for an environmentally friendly way to heat your home. If so, consider using Bioheat.
Bioheat is the cleanest-burning home heating fuel available. Your Shoreline home will be just as warm in the winter with Bioheat as it will be with regular fuel oil. Plus, you’ll feel better about helping to preserve the environment with lower carbon outputs.
Here are some interesting Bioheat facts:
- Bioheat is made from a blend of standard petroleum and biodiesel, an alternative fuel made from domestic, natural resources such as soybean or palm oil, algae, or animal fats.
- The biodiesel in Genesee Bioheat blends are made from used cooking grease, collected from Seattle-area restaurants.
- Bioheat is completely safe for home use. It biodegrades as fast as sugar, and is less toxic than table salt.
- Genesee Energy offers three Bioheat blends – B25 (25% biodiesel, 75% petroleum), B50 (50% biodiesel), and B99 (99% biodiesel). The higher the blend number, the cleaner it burns, and the lower your carbon emissions will be. But all of our Bioheat blends produce lower carbon outputs than natural gas.
- You don’t need to buy a new furnace or make any upgrades to use Bioheat. It works with your existing furnace as is, without any modifications. And you don’t need to drain your tank, since biodiesel blends easily with the standard fuel you have now.
- The biodiesel in Bioheat acts as a natural cleanser for your filters, and can actually extend the life of your furnace.
- Any of our Bioheat blends will work with your oil-burning furnace. But we recommend you start with B25 and work your way up to B99, our cleanest-burning blend, to allow your furnace to “get used” to Bioheat.
- Currently, Bioheat costs a few pennies more per gallon than regular heating oil. But the price is expected to go down in the next 10 years as more people start using biodiesel for home heating.
- Since Bioheat is made in Washington state, it is less vulnerable to price fluctuations than heating fuel made from imported oil.
- Using Bioheat saves you money in the long run because it helps to reduce maintenance problems in your furnace, preventing the need for costly repairs.